POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK – Monday – Friday; flexible to the needs of the program based on the school calendar; may include the six week summer program.
QUALIFICATIONS - High School diploma or GED
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE – Authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE - Assist the assigned classroom team in implementing a child centered, quality early childhood program. Assist in providing a safe, secure and supportive classroom atmosphere that supports each child’s individual growth and development. Support the contribution of parent involvement in all aspects of the educational program. Carry out duties in accordance with the regulations of all programs within the Bright Beginnings Early Learning Center: Office of Children & Family Services, NYS Education Department, NYS Department of Health, and NYS Office of Early Learning.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Work with individual children or small groups of children to reinforce learning of material or skills initially introduced by the teachers/clinicians.
- Engage/interact in an appropriate and positive manner at all times throughout the day.
- Model appropriate language (tone of voice, facial expression, speaking at child’s eye level, appropriate selection of spoken words and signed words.
- Contribute to positive meal time experiences by sampling foods and demonstrating proper use of utensils and table manners.
- Interact with the children in “centers”, during group activities, on the playground, et Model “play” with children.
- Assist children to develop self-help skills.
- Assist the classroom teacher in the physical maintenance and care of the classroom. Help children use and care for materials in the classroom.
- Assist the classroom teacher with non-instructional duties such as toileting, meal time, supporting teacher’s lesson plan by preparing materials for instructional use, developing bulletin boards, the arrival and departure of children, and other duties as directed.
- Assist the classroom teacher in the supervision of children assigned to the classroom.
- Provide 1:1 support to assigned children.
- For those children with special needs with 1:1 support in their IEP, the child’s NAME TAG must be carried by either the Special Education teacher, Early Education teacher, clinician, or teacher aide at all times. The staff holding the tag is responsible, under the direction of the Special Education Teacher, for the health, safety, and program support of the child.
- Accompany child to therapy services as needed.
- Will accept designation as Head of Group and assume responsibility of managing the classroom in the event that the Early Education Teacher and Special Education Teacher are away from the classroom at the same time.
- Assist the teachers by implementing children’s behavior plans.
- Collect child data as needed for assessments.
- Assist with Center-wide duties such as laundry, food service to children, physical maintenance and care of the storage areas (lending library/art supply closets, bathroom cabinets, refrigerators, Big Room), etc.
- Maintain confidentiality of family and child information.
- Provide before/after school care when needed and scheduled on the “On Call” schedule.
- Attend staff and parent meetings as requested by supervisor.
- Will immediately report any suspected incidents of child abuse or maltreatment directly to the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment.
- Attend and satisfactorily complete all required in-services.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Time Management.
- Organization Skills.
- Project Management.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The position operates out of the Bright Beginnings Early Learning Center and may require lifting of children, playing with students on the floor or outside. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds.
OTHER DUTIES – This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. I have read and received a copy of the above job description and understand the responsibilities fully. I understand that the preceding job description will be reviewed/updated at least annually; more frequent updates will depend on contract needs.
The Arc Jefferson - St. Lawrence is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disabled/Veteran.