Are you the kind of person who needs to help others to feel fulfilled? We’re looking for team-oriented professionals who are not only passionate about working with people with special needs, but who also value optimism, creativity, kindness and compassion! We’re proud of our company culture and if you think your values align with our mission and vision, we encourage you to apply!
We are hiring Direct Support Professionals in all locations to assist in the coordination of the residential program of the people we support, stressing independence, integration, individualization, and productivity with emphasis on the person’s choice. You must be aware of the person centered approach and incorporate it into training, be progressive and proactive in providing for, arranging for, supervising and documenting services to the people we support to promote growth toward increasing levels of independence.
High School Diploma or equivalency required. Experience working with the Developmentally Disabled preferred. Good oral and written communication skills required. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling, in excess of 30 pounds. Valid New York State Driver’s License with acceptable driving record. Must be authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
Work hours are flexible to the needs of the program – 40 hours weekly for Full Time. Part time positions available also.
Some Essential Functions of this position: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist the people we support in buying necessary household equipment and in management of personal funds, purchases and disbursements; and assist in acclimation to the environment of the house or program site, in proper nutrition, meal planning and preparation as well as grocery shopping, and provide training as needed in these areas as outlined on the service plan.
- Provide guidance and instruction to the people we support in cleaning of the program site, general domestic tasks and upkeep of their rooms and property, and ensure physical plant is maintained in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Provide guidance to the people we support in available leisure time activities; assist in arranging or providing transportation.
- Participate actively when crisis intervention is required.
- Responsible for the implementation and follow through of all ADL, interpersonal skill training and/or behavioral support programs for the people we support, as directed by the Residence Manager and outlined in the person’s support plans for both the Residential and Day Habilitation programs.
- If designated by Residence Manager, shall be required to administer medications as directed by physicians’ orders and agency policy after successfully completing the OPWDD approved medication course and be required to maintain said certification.
- Report any illness or accident, or changes, or problems in the person’s medical status to the on-call nurse or administrator and shall use the appropriate documentation procedure and follow instructions as given. Nursing Notes will be completed daily to reflect monitoring of Resident’s health status.
- Ensure the needs of the people we support are being met, taking into account integration, individualization, independence and productivity with emphasis on the person’s choice, while ensuring their safety and welfare. Promote the five governing principles in improving the lives of the people we support while still meeting the valued outcomes outlined in the support plan.
- Remain aware of and follow policies and procedures as outlined in the Functional Plan pertinent to the assigned work site.
This position operates in the personalized home environment based on those who reside in the home.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Premium Sign On Bonus Program: Effective May 3, 2021 –September 5, 2021
- Sign on Bonus of $500 after 3 months and $500 after 6 months (full time)
- Sign on Bonus of $250 after 3 months and $250 after 6 months (part time)
The Arc Jefferson - St. Lawrence NY is an Equal Opportunity Employer: disabled/veteran.