POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK – Monday - Friday; flexible to the needs of the program
QUALIFICATIONS - Special Education degree (Bachelor’s and/or Master’s) and appropriate New York State certification (initial or professional) as a Special Education Teacher unless waived by the New York State Education Department. If certification was received after February 2, 2004 Special Education Teachers working in the Early Intervention and/or Preschool Special Education programs must possess their Birth to Grade 2 certification, unless waived by the New York State Education Department.
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE – Authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE - Responsible for the overall operation of the classroom, serving as primary head of group. Responsible for the implementation and on-going evaluation of the IEP in accordance with the State Education Department regulations for assigned children. Responsible for the supervision of all other staff in the classroom. Ensures that the appropriate staff/child ratio for the classroom is maintained at all times. Support the contribution of parent involvement and to assist in the implementation of this in all aspects of the educational program. Provide homebound services as requested by supervisor as schedule permits. Will carry out duties in accordance with the regulations of any and all programs through which the child is served: Office of Children & Family Services, NYS Education Department, and/or NYS Department of Health.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Complete annual assessments on all assigned students.
- Complete lesson plans on a weekly basis and submit to the Coordinator of Early Childhood Services, as required.
- Ensure the proper storage and use of classroom equipment and supplies.
- Bring maintenance needs to the attention of the Coordinator of Early Childhood Services.
- If away from the classroom, designates an appropriately qualified staff as Head of Group.
- Complete incident reports and documentation of minor injuries as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of family and child records.
- Remain cognizant of child's current medical status. Consult with medical staff regarding any change in child's health or behavior.
- Maintain accurate attendance records, billing sheets and progress notes in compliance with regulatory and reimbursement standards.
- Participate in school district Committee on Preschool Special Education Meetings as needed.
- Oversee and participate in the daily operations of the classroom by providing any needed assistance to children such as toileting, eating, dressing, etc.
- Oversee and participate in the general maintenance of supplies and the classroom environment, performing sanitation duties, ordering supplies, etc. as needed.
- Maintain family contact as coordinated by the Coordinator of Early Childhood Services.
- Prepare discharge summaries for those children who are discharged from the program.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Time Management.
- Organizational Skills.
- Detail Oriented
- Project Management.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY – Has no direct reports.
TRAVEL – As appropriate to the position to provide necessary services.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The position operates out of the Bright Beginnings Early Learning Center and may require lifting of children, playing with students on the floor or outside. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, lift, kneel, bend, twist, use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds on a regular basis when assisting with the children.
OTHER DUTIES – This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Arc Jefferson - St. Lawrence NY is an Equal Opportunity Employer: disabled/veteran.
SIGN-ON BONUS - Certified Special Education Teachers have a sign on bonus of $1500 after 6 months of service.